Monday, March 19, 2012

The castle cake

Yes, I went crazy and made a cake for the girls' 4th birthday. Since we were going for a princess theme for the party I found the perfect (and hopefully easy to make!) castle cake from Betty Crocker. My saving grace? An online video tut that I could watch, pause, go make the cake, come back and watch some more, pause, go do some more cake making, etc., etc. Seriously! The video saved me! That and I also learned (comparing this to past cake decorating experiences) that freezing the cake helps a TON in the frosting step! TONS!!

Here are pictures of my first, ever, cake endeavour for any of our kids' birthdays.

My four layers of cake and pink strawberry frostingThree of the layers for the 1st tierThen the 4th layer cut up for the 2nd tier and then cut up some more for the 3rd, and last, tierThe crumb coat. What a crumby job I did with it! ;)The final coat. I wasn't too concerned with it being super smoothed outStarting to decorate, first with frosted and pink-sugar rolled cones for the turretsJared helps decorating. He did an awesome job! :)Yay! It's done!A different view of it. And this only took me, oh, ~3 to 4 hours to bake, build, frost and decorate ;)The girls totally loved their cake! Yay! I still can't believe I made it. Seriously. And guess what? I think I'm going to make a cake for Jared's birthday too, obviously NOT a pink castle one but something that suits him. Wish me luck (again)! ;)
post signature

4 comments:

Jen said...

GREAT JOB!!! It looks awesome. Maybe someday I'll be brave enough to attempt one. :oP

Linda Chapman said...

It looks amazing! I am sure the girls will remember this birthday AND cake for years to come!!

Anonymous said...

My daughter is turning 4 soon and she wants this cake. Your little tutorial helped me out. Thanks! BTW yours turned out great!

The Carlsons said...

Awe! Thanks everyone! I think I just lucked out that Betty Crocker had a tutorial (written and video) for me to go off of ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails