Wednesday, April 21, 2010

What's for dessert? Lemon Sugar Cookies

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the lemons someone gave us. So, I searched online and in my cookbooks for lemon recipes. I found a yummy and very easy Lemon Sugar Cookie recipe in my convection cookbook. And that's just what I made :D

One thing to note is that the dough needs to chill for 2 hours (or overnight) to get it firm. I was disappointed last evening, when I was wanting and craving to make them!, that the dough needed to be chilled. Oh well. My sweet tooth had to wait until the next day, when I scooped, rolled and baked them. Were they worth the wait? Oh yeah! YUMMY!

Here is the recipe:

1/2 lb (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus 1/3 cup for rolling the cookies
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
Freshly grated zest of 1 lemon (~ 2 tsp)
1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

1) Measure all the ingredients except for the 1/3 cup granulated sugar into the large bowl of an electric mixer...butter. Gotta love butter :D

Add the powdered sugar...The granulated sugar...The vanilla extract. Can you tell I use my vanilla extract, with all of the drippings on it? Ha! ;)The egg...The lemon zest...The lemon juice. Despite my lemony desire to add in more than the 1 Tbsp of juice, when baking it's an exact science. So no more, no less. I just used the leftover juice to make myself a little glass of lemonade ;)The AP flour...The baking soda...The salt...And that's all of it!Turn the mixer on lowAnd mix until a dough forms, scraping the bowl's sides2) Cover the dough and refrigerate for 2 hrs or until just firm. If you chill the dough until it is hard, remove it from the fridge ~ 1 hr before shaping so it can soften enough to be pliable. Overnight chilling worked out for me with no issues!3) Position racks evenly in oven. Preheat convection oven to 350* (or 375* for non-convection ovens). Cover cookie sheets with parchment paper. Scoop out tablespoon-sized portions of the dough and shape into balls.Roll them in additional granulated sugarAnd place on the cookie sheets, evenly spaced4) Bake the cookies on multiple racks for 9 to 10 minutes, until lightly browned around the edges. Remove from oven and slide parchment paper off of sheets and onto a countertop to cool, or to a wire rack to cool.Don't those look yummy? Mmmmm! Mm! They are! All 5 kids and I can attest to that ;)

This recipe makes about 3.5 dozen cookies. These make for a nice yummy dessert! Hope you enjoy them and Happy Eating!
post signature

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

these look yummy! Is this in the convection cookbook you gave to me? I should check. Maybe I should buy lemons tonight!

-mary

black granite said...

Wow that look yummy lovely recipe.

Related Posts with Thumbnails