Sunday, February 07, 2010

What's for dinner? Enchiladas Verdes

Okay, can I just say that reading this post title makes my mouth water? Oh, YUM! And I mean YUMMY YUM! I made these the other day for dinner (my second time cooking this recipe). We first saw this recipe on an episode of America's Test Kitchen on our local PBS station. It looked very interesting. So, I checked out their website, found the recipe and tried it. Yeah, it's a DEFINITE keeper. The enchiladas are chicken and in a green sauce (of tomatillos and peppers). I will say that it can be a bit spicy BUT if you are not into spicy you could probably decrease the heat by using fewer poblano (or in my case, jalapeno since I couldn't find poblanos at my grocer) chiles, the Monterey Jack cheese instead of the Pepper Jack cheese and perhaps add more sugar to the green sauce. But for us, it's perfect. Mmmmm! Mm!

Here is the recipe from America's Test Kitchen.

Chop up an onion
And some garlicSaute it in a pot with some oil until the onion and garlic are golden, like thisThen add in the cuminAnd the chicken brothAdd your chicken (boneless, skinless chicken breasts, that is ;) )And let it all simmer until the chicken is fully cooked to at least 160*. Take out the chicken and let it cool down in the fridge. Keep 1/4 cup of the onion/garlic/cumin/broth liquid for later use. I made a double batch of these enchiladas so I was able to use more of this liquid for doubling purposes.

Meanwhile, get out your poblanos. Or in my case, jalepenos. ATK says you can substitute the jalapenos for the poblanos. Excellent!And your tomatillos. Make sure you purchase GREEN tomatillos. They have more flavor than the light green or yellow ones. Don't feel bad, you can tear open the skins a bit, in the grocery store, and see if they are green or not. So, tomatillos look like thisPeel off the papery skins/husks and they will look like thisThey will feel sticky. Make sure you wash them clean with water. Then cut the big ones, ~2 inches in diameter, in half. Also, cut the peppers in half and remove the ribs and seeds.Do you know where most of the heat comes from in peppers? Yup. The ribs and seeds. You can set these off to the side and add in later, in the food processor, if you want more heat in your sauce.Then toss the tomatillos and peppers in oil in a bowlAnd lay them on a foiled sheet for broiling. Make sure the peppers are skin-side up.Broil until the skins are nice and charredLet them cool and then remove/peel off the skins of the peppers. These are the skins...And this is a pepper with its skin offPlace the charred tomatillos and peppers (and I threw in any juices left on the cooking sheet) into a food processorAdd in the reserved 1/4 cup of liquid from the cooking of the chickenThe sugarRemaining garlic and saltBlend, taste test and adjust tastes accordingly (too hot? more sugar. not hot enough? add in a pepper rib and some seeds. needs more salt and some black pepper?)

Then, mix together your chicken (that has cooled and you've shredded or cut up into bite-size pieces), the chopped cilantro and shredded cheese. I used the Pepper Jack cheese.Spread some of the green sauce into a 13x9 inch panNow, ATK says to "Spray both sides of tortillas lightly with cooking spray. Bake until tortillas are soft and pliable, 2 to 4 minutes." Well, this didn't really work for me the first time. They came out more crunchy and cooked and not as pliable for rolling. Instead, I just nuked them a little bit in my microwave. They were nice and pliable yet not crunchy and cooked. Roll up a 1/3 cup of the chicken mixure into the tortilla.Place the rolled enchiladas seam-side down into the panContinue rolling until the pan is filled with the 12 enchiladasSomehow, again, I had a little bit extra of the chicken mixure. So I think I got 13 enchiladas out of the recipe. Hm?Spread the remaining green sauce onto the top of the enchiladasAnd top with the remaining shredded cheeseCover with foil, bake and in about 15 to 20 minutes later you get this yumminess!Mmmmm! Mm! Top with some sliced scallions and sour cream and you have a yummy dinner!I'm telling you, TRY IT! It's SO good! Enjoy and Happy Eating!
post signature

4 comments:

Carrie K said...

Looks very yummy! Just FYI... I have found that Poblanos are sometimes called "Pasilla" peppers by grocery stores. They are a much darker green color than jalapenos or anaheims. I think the Pasillas might be the dried form of poblanos.

Suzy said...

I love ATK!! I will have to remember to try this recipe when the kids are a little older and I feel more capable of tackling something a little more involved than mac 'n' cheese! :)

Anonymous said...

I bet those are awesome! I would like to make something with tomatillos some time. I bet this took all afternoon to make. I've made some of those ATK recipes and they can take forever! I've done manicotti and lasagna where I cook my own sauce. I think I made some other kind of enchilada from them too. I love their approach to recipes. Soon you'll need to make 2 pans of this.

happy cooking!

-mary

Pyjammy Pam said...

I'm another HUGE america's test kitchen (and cook's illustrated) fan! those look so delish, but man, there are a lot of steps. :) i'm impressed you made them AND took pictures AND blogged about it! :D

Related Posts with Thumbnails