Tuesday, November 24, 2009
Suzan and AnnaBrielleBethany and Anna getting into the cabinets ;)All 4 girlies into the cabinets. Brielle, Bethany, Suzan and AnnaWe wish everyone a safe and blessed Thanksgiving! We are spending ours with my (Maria's) extended family. We're back to our family Thanksgiving tradition! Yay! :D Some of you we haven't seen since 2006. WOW!
Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
The 5 kids last Thanksgiving, 2008. My, how much they have changed!! Bethany, Brielle, Anna, Suzan and Jared.
Sunday, November 22, 2009
Monday, November 16, 2009
Here are some pictures of the pumpkin seeds the boys planted and then the flowers on our pea plants. Ooooo! Fun!!
PumpkinsPeasHappy Harvest! :D
Saturday, November 14, 2009
It's fun to grow and enjoy your own food! :)
Thursday, November 12, 2009
He has been doing great at school, getting 95% or 100% on his weekly written phonogram pickles. Yay! The written phonogram pickles test them on 20 Spalding phonograms that they have learned. Well, today he got a "Pickle Wizard" award because he got a 100% on his written phonogram pickle AND a 100% on his practice spelling pickle! Double Yay! Starting today, he will have weekly spelling pickles in which the kids get tested on 15 spelling words for that week. Way to go Jared! Yes, spelling tests in Kindergarten - Wow!
So now, he has...
- A weekly written phonogram pickle on 20 phonograms (using the Spalding method)
- A weekly spelling pickle on 15 words (again, using Spalding and the Ayres word list, which is a list of the most frequently used words in the English language. They just start at the top of the list and work their way down.)
- Math pickles every 5 days, on math facts and assessment (using Saxon math)
- And a weekly writing pickle, in which the students write 3 sentences on the subject they learned about that week (using Rubrics)
Have we mentioned how impressed and blessed we are with Jared's school? They are wonderful! Praise God Jared can attend here and that the girlies can too, in the future! This kid of ours keeps amazing me with what he can learn and do! The teachers and staff are wonderful! Oh, and in case you wonder if it's all "work, work, work" they do get to have fun...lots of fun at his school!
Most recent picture, just taken a few minutes ago - 11/12/09. Jared and Paul trellised the peas last weekend.Jared and I did have a "taste test" of the lettuce. Yum! We can't wait until it's harvest time for all of these delicious, homegrown veggies!
Sunday, November 08, 2009
Thursday, November 05, 2009
Suzan, all proud of herself by putting on Mom's sneakers all by herself :D Bethany next to SuzanShe then decided to play "peek-a-boo" with meSuzan - "ha! gotcha mama!" :D I think the shoes, along with the outfit, make her look like she is going to go out for a jog or something. Hee hee ;)Suzan - "noooooo! don't take my shoes!!!!!!"What a silly girly! Oh, and Paul has made the comment "oh no, the girls love shoes? man, am i in trouble with their future shoe budget!" Ha! No joke honey :D
Wednesday, November 04, 2009
Suzan, Bethany, Anna and Brielle at 20 months oldI continue to be amazed at them!
- They are running now. I think this is fun, as the girls and I will play "I'm gonna get you!" where I crawl around trying to get them, they smile, giggle and run away from me and then when I do catch them I tickle them to death. It's fun! :D
- They are into shoes. Okay, I should really say they LOVE their shoes. Okay, now I should clarify "any one's shoes." They always say "shoo?" when we change them in the morning, especially Suzan and Brielle. Sometimes we put them on, like if we are going outside or somewhere, and sometimes not. They actually start to giggle and smile when we go grab their shoes. Oh, and as for any other shoes, they go and grab brother's shoes and Mama's shoes, as those shoes are usually sitting out somewhere.
- They are talking and signing more with us. Yay! Their latest words are ..."uh-oh," "shoo," "plee" (from Bethany only), "jerr" (for "Jared," again from Bethany only), "baw" (for "ball"), "chee" (for "cheese"), "duh" (for "done") and "who whee" (for when Mama says "woo wee" at dirty diapers ;) Brielle only says this). They also have a lot of signs they know..."all done," "milk," "more," "please," "cheese," "juice" and "food."
- Speaking of food, here are some of their favorites...waffles, French Toast Casserole, raisins, animal crackers, goldfish crackers, PB&J, grapes, cheese and the latest is M&M minis from their Halloween stash ;) Oh, and spicy sweet potato fries. Anna and Bethany would eat 5 lbs of the fries if Mama let them - YUM! ;)
- They LOVE going outside, whether it is walking Jared to school or going to church on Sundays and Thursdays or going to play in our yard or going on a neighborhood stroll. They also know what "park" means - Ha! I realized this when I was out walking them in the stroller and I saw Bethany sign "please" and point to the park. When I said "oh, no park today Bethany" she cried. Poor girl. So, the next time walking by the park I had to stop and let them play :D We'll have to take advantage of our cooler fall/winter/spring weather and get out more with the girlies!
- They love playing with each other and with Big Brother!
- They are climbing and exploring all of our house now. I no longer have them play only in the playroom now. There are times when I just let them stroll around the house. I think they love the freedom ;)
- They also love their babies, silkies and blankets. Brielle loves her babies still and Bethany can't get enough of a fluffy bear or a soft silkie. She usually pops her thumb in too when she has one of those in her hands. Too cute! :D
Tuesday, November 03, 2009
Jared loves, LOVES, to go check on our garden. He likes to check it in the morning (he would check it in his PJs and socks if Dad and Mama let him ;) ) and then when he comes home from school in the afternoon. It is very cute ;) So far, the veggies are doing well.
Here are some pictures of the garden on October 25th, 2009. They are much bigger now, especially the peas. I believe we will have to trellis the peas as soon as they get tall enough to do so. We can't wait to harvest what we've grown! Jared will be thrilled to see all of his veggies, ready to eat :D
The peasCarrotsThe radishes. They are probably doing the best; them and the peasThe mesclun lettuce blendAnd then the basil. Mama can't wait until the basil is ready to pick ;)Oh! Does anyone have advice on how to get rid of the bugs that are nipping at our veggie foliage? A spray perhaps, either store bought or homemade? I don't know what bug/creature it is but there is something lightly taking a bite or two. We'd appreciate the tip!
Sunday, November 01, 2009
Here are some pictures of our Halloween. We had a good and fun October and Halloween. We carved 2 pumpkins, one for us and then one for a neighborhood party. Yes, we went to a neighborhood party, all 7 of us. That was fun! Jared and I also got to toast some pumpkin seeds, see previous post. Then we all enjoyed going out trick-or-treating in our neighborhood, all 7 of us with Grammy. Fun, fun!
Enjoy the picture overload ;)
Jared and Mom carved the pumpkin this year. Jared scooping out the mushy gushies from the pumpkin.Ewe! Slimey and sticky!Jared saying "cheese" for Mama ;)Jared helps with the carving patternMama carves with the knife. Almost done!Hey, we got the pumpkin carved Jared!"Trick or Treat!"Our pumpkin, lit outside Halloween night. Oooooo! Great job Jared!!Off to trick-or-treat with the kids and Grammy! Okay, maybe some picture time by Mama :D Jared in back, in front Anna, Bethany, Brielle, Suzan and Grammy.The 5 kids. It was a bit difficult for Mama to take a picture of all of them,
especially with the girlies walking around and taking off their hair bows. Ha! ;)Awe! Okay, I don't know why Anna and Suzan are crying here. Perhaps they want to go trick-or-treating NOW! and Mama keeps pestering them for more pics :DMore of the kiddosA cute little candy corn Suzan. Again, I don't know why the funny face :PCandy corn Anna pie!Jared walking with BethanyWe just let the kids walk around for a bit and went to our neighbors next door...Jared and BethanyOoooo! A VERY COOL Bumblebee Transformer!He enjoyed his costume :DBethany, Suzan and Brielle checking out the neighbors' Halloween decorations. Anna was brave enough and walked to the neighbors' door already - Ha! :DCute little yummy candy corn Brielle ;)A sweet candy corn Bethany :DOkay, enough Mama pictures ;) Off to trick-or-treating! Jared, Brielle, Anna, Suzan and BethanyAnd just for kicks, the 5 kids last Halloween, 2008. What a difference a year makes! The girls were just baby blobs last year!!!!We had fun trick-or-treating. All 5 kids did AWESOME! Yes, lots of comments and looks from our neighbors. Actually, a lot of them said "we were just waiting to see if you all would come out trick-or-treating! You're here. Yay!" Our neighborhood is full of very sweet and kind people. We are very lucky! A lot of our neighbors also wanted to give the girlies candy. Well, we used Jared's pumpkin as a "community" trick-or-treat bag. Needless to say, it was very heavy for him to hold and carry at the end of the evening. Ha! ;) He had fun and, as usual, the girlies had fun just getting out of the house. All 5 kids have already enjoyed a taste of their candy loot...a few for Jared and then some mini M&Ms for the girls. Man, did those girls like their M&Ms! They chowed down on them like nothing! :D
Our weather was PERFECT for trick-or-treating too...not too hot or cold. Just right. Yay! With our nicer weather the girlies and I are going to get out more...for walks, for park playtime or just for walking and playing in our yard. We've got to enjoy our AZ fall/winter/spring weather before May comes ;) And as I said, the girls get so excited and begin to squeal and giggle if you quietly mention "go out," "outside" or "shoes" to them. Ha! Too cute and funny!
Hope everyone had a safe and fun Halloween! Enjoy fall, y'all :D