Tuesday, September 22, 2009

What's for dinner? Spaghetti with Meat Sauce and Toasted Garlic Bread

Okay, so I know many folks probably think "hey, I already have a really good spaghetti sauce recipe!" Or maybe you cook up your mom's or grandma's spaghetti sauce passed down from generation to generation to generation. So if you do then maybe you will just enjoy the recipe for the Toasted Garlic Bread from All Recipes. It's super yummy! But...if you don't have a good spaghetti sauce recipe then perhaps you'd like to try this one. I think it's a keeper ;)

My spaghetti sauce recipe comes from a cookbook I reference a lot, "1,000 Lowfat Recipes." I forget why or when we purchased this cookbook but I like it and its recipes. It is actually a ground turkey spaghetti sauce recipe but, as I mentioned in my Taco Soup recipe, lean ground beef has been on a great sale lately so I've been using that. I've made it both ways, with turkey and with beef. Again, it tastes the same to me but you choose whichever meat you prefer. So, let's start with the sauce recipe...

Makes: 6 servings
The fresh basil gives this recipe its flavor; please don't substitute dried.

1lb lean ground turkey (or beef)
1 tsp vegetable oil (I use extra virgin olive oil)
1 cup chopped onions
2 cloves garlic, minced (yeah, I tend to use 3 cloves :D )
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil (1 pre-packaged basil container seems to do the trick)
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes

1) In a large, heavy-bottomed, nonstick skillet, cook the turkey over moderate heat until cooked through. Stir constantly. This will take about 5 minutes.

I usually cook this in my big dutch oven
Remove to a plate2) In the same skillet, heat the oil and cook the onions and garlic, covered, until the onions soften, about 5 minutes.

Mmmmm! I don't know what it is about the combo of onions and garlic. It smells and tastes SO yummy!3) Put the turkey (or beef) back in the skillet and add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes.

So add in your tomatoes...Your salt...And your pepperOh, here's where I add a little twist, or should I say "kick," to the sauce. Just a little bit of red pepper flakes. I don't want it flamin' hot but just a little something.Let the sauce simmer while the spaghetti noodles cookI also cooked up this gemelli pasta for the kids spaghetti sauceI also made this sauce and served it to them with cooked ditalini pasta. I like the ditalini in that it is small, perfect for 18-month olds' mouths ;)

While that cooks we can get the toasted garlic bread ready. Oooooo! That just sounds so yummy to begin with ;)

I try to make up the garlic butter ahead of time. That way it is ready and waiting for me. You'll need some softened butterThen add the extra virgin olive oil to the butterAdd the dried oregano...Crushed garlic and salt and pepper to tasteAll ready to lather up on some bread!Spread evenly onto the slices of bread and broilMine here came out a tad toastier than I would prefer. I think this was 4 minutes under the broiled. 2 minutes would've been perfect :PTop with shredded mozzarella cheese. Pop it back under the broiler. For me, 2 minutes was just right.Ooooo! YUM! YUM!! I love it when I cook spaghetti and toasted garlic bread for dinner. Our whole house smells yummy, like an Italian restaurant or home - Ha! ;)Going back to the spaghetti sauce, about 5 minutes before serving I add the chopped basil. I think I read somewhere that if you are adding fresh herbs to a dish to add them at the end. That way the flavors of the herbs are still fresh and...herb'y?? :DDinner is served! A yummy spaghetti night, with a meat sauce and toasted garlic bread on the side.

Happy eating!
post signature

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

i'm lovin' your "what's for dinner" posts!!! keep 'em coming!

Anonymous said...

I LOVe your "what's for dinner" posts. Keep them coming! You are an excellent cook!!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails