Tuesday, September 01, 2009

What's for dinner? Herb Roasted Pork Loin, Oven Roasted Potatoes and Green Salad

Okay, so I thought I would start (or at least try to start ;) ) a post series sharing my favorite recipes I cook for our family. I enjoy finding good, yummy yet easy recipes and thought "hey, maybe some folks would like to try some of ours?" So, here you go!

Tonight, for dinner, we are having Herb Roasted Pork Loin with Oven Roasted Potatoes and a simple Green Salad on the side. I found these recipes from All Recipes, a great source for cooks (Recipe Zaar also!). So no, I don't take any credit for creating the recipe. I just happen to find them and our family enjoys it!

It seems like meat has been on great sales lately. That's usually how I make my meals, find what meat is on sale and then cook accordingly. So, a few months ago pork loins were on sale. I searched All Recipes for a recipe, found one and purchased my loin and recipe parts. Well, it turned out SO well that I purchased a few more loins. Hey, if you have the freezer/storage space, you might as well buy in bulk when it's on sale! And especially when you are cooking for a family of 7 :D

You start off with some garlic. YUM! Can I just say how much I love garlic? Oh, it's so yummy! Well, cooked that is ;) Once I was curious what it tasted like raw and well, let's just say it didn't taste as good as cooked :P I am known to double (or, GASP!, even triple) the garlic recommended. It's just so tasty! And I guess good for you too.I have to say here that you need a good, reliable garlic peeler. We have this one. I first saw this one thanks to Paul's sister. It's very easy and efficient at peeling garlic. Notice the chopped sage, pepper and salt in the bowl next to the peeler.The pork. I understand if you are not a big pork eater. Perhaps you will enjoy the roasted potatoes recipe, though.Rub the sage, pepper, salt and garlic all over the pork. YUM!Cook at 325*In the meantime, we can get started on the potatoes. I usually use the red potatoes but any kind could be used.I cut them into bite-size piecesChop some more garlic. Ooooo! Garlic! YUM!Get some herbs and spices. The recipe calls for red pepper flakes so it can taste a bit spicy. If you are not into spice or have little ones, then you could probably skip on the red pepper flakes. Us? Both of us love spice and our kids don't seem to mind it either.Get some EVOO (for those Rachael Ray fans, you already know that's "extra virgin olive oil" ;) )Dump it all in with the potatoes.Stir it all around, pour onto a baking pan (I usually line mine with aluminum foil for easy clean up afterwards) and bake (at 475*)For me, I do my dinner prep as soon as the girlies lay down for their afternoon nap. That gives me a good 1hr 45min until Jared is home. This pork recipe is perfect in that it cooks for 2 to 2.5hrs and then requires your involvement, e.g. baste with the glaze. Oh! The glaze! It's super easy and tasty!

Combine the corn starch, vinegar, sugar, H2O and soy sauce. Let it come to a simmer and thicken. Then you baste the pork a few times before pulling it out of the oven and voila...Your pork loin is done! Ready to serve with the remaining glaze...The roasted potatoes...And a simple green salad.There you have it, some excellent, easy to prepare and very yummy recipes! We enjoyed it tonight. Jared enjoyed it. Even the girlies enjoyed it! Woo hoo! ;) Hope you get to try it. Oh, and if you have some of your favorite yummy recipes to share, feel free to leave a comment. I would enjoy checking them out!

Happy eating!
post signature

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to make this supper! I use the term "supper" intentionally since I know Paul is a firm believer in "dinner". I've been roasting potatoes and other veggies for a while. Your potatoes look like they have a nice herb blend. I thought Paul knew about the garlic roller first, and then you guys gave one to us as a wedding gift. I always use the Kuhn Rikon Epicurean Garlic Press whenever I do garlic. I splurged on this last year. Is that fresh sage? I have never used fresh sage. I think that can grow for me as a perennial.

I love a cooking post, as you can tell! We'll have to whip up some good meals when we are there. I've been trying to think of what recipe I could make.

-mary

Kristen said...

I cannot believe I'm craving garlic at 7:50 AM...can't wait to try it Maria! Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails