Sunday, September 06, 2009

What's for breakfast? French Toast Casserole

In continuing with this "recipe series" I started, I'd like to share a yummy breakfast recipe with you all!

I first tasted something similar to this at my summer Bible study a few months ago. A friend said she brought in "French Toast Casserole" to share with all of the ladies. At first I was a bit skeptical (just not used to breakfast in a casserole?) but it tasted yummy. So I came home that day and Googled for the recipe. I came across several but found this one, at Recipe Zaar, to be quite yummy! First, I tried it out on Paul, Jared and I for dinner one evening (we like to have "breakfast for dinner" sometimes). It was so good that I decided to feed it to the girlies for breakfast. They LOVED it, especially Suzan (out of the 4 of them, she REALLY loves her breakfast ;) )! Yay! I like that it contains eggs and milk, as I was trying to get them to eat more eggs and get more milk into them. It's super easy too! So...here we go!

First, make sure you butter/grease/lube/spray your pan before beginning. One time I forgot and boy was it difficult scooping out the french toast afterwards!

Get out your french bread for cutting. I had my baker pre-slice my loaf, free of charge. It makes it easier to cut the loaf into pieces. Also, my loaf is 16oz. I know the recipe calls for 10oz but I've found the extra 6oz to not be an issue.I cut the loaf into bite-size piecesInto the greased panNow the "french toast" mixture. 8 large grade AA eggsInto a bowl. Make sure you whisk them before combining the other ingredients, which are...Milk. I use whole milk, only because I want the girls to get their whole milk. I'm sure you could use any fatness of milk ;)SugarVanillaAnd salt. The recipe says it is optional but I've always tossed it in with no issues.Okay, now whisk!!!And pour all over the bread piecesCover with foil and store in the fridge overnight, or if making for dinner then I'd make in the morning and have it in the fridge all day*YAWN!* Nighty night!
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
Okay, it's the next morning. Pre-heat the oven and pull out the dish. Put pats of butter on top and then spoon on the cinnamon-sugar mixture. The recipes calls for you to have the dish sit out at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sometimes that happens for me. Other times I just have to get it baked and ready for the girlies in time so I only leave it out in the amount of time it takes for my oven to pre-heat.About 45min later you have hot, yummy French Toast Casserole! YUM! Oh, I also take off the foil for the last 5 minutes of baking, to give the top a bit of crispness.I serve it with maple syrup for the girls. It's so yummy no wonder they love it! Actually, I think Suzan, the "skinny mini" she is, would eat up all of her sisters' servings if she could. It's that yummy! ;)

So if you are looking for an easy and yummy breakfast, then I suggest trying this recipe. Whether for a special holiday or birthday breakfast or Sunday brunch or just something for breakfast or dinner on Thursday ;) It's good!

Happy eating!
post signature

5 comments:

Nikki said...

This sounds really good Maria! I am definately going to have to try it out one of these days!

Thanks for sharing,
Nikki

Amber said...

I tried this recipe from you and it was delicious. We added cream cheese for even more fat and richness. YUM.

Anonymous said...

I just smiled when I read your post. This was a standard for me growing up in the 60's and 70's. We called it bread pudding. We added raisins and/or apples and always added cinnamon. We ate it for dessert. It was a classic in rural Minnesota as a way to use extra eggs and milk from the farm.
Thanks for a trip down memory lane. Love your blog and your sweet family! Pam

HOA Mgr Lady said...

Yum that IS Bread pudding Pam you're right! Want another great midwestern recipe?
Use your same pyrex dish and spray PAM or add butter to the dish and take sliced bread and butter both sides of the bread and then spread a bit of regular old mustard on one side of each slice. Don't tear the bread but you can I suppose... then layer the bread and then use cheese to cover (kinda). My Dad used Velvetta but I have used many different kinds of cheese. Another layer of bread and another layer of cheese. Take your same egg mixture (no sugar needed though) and slowly pour over the top and set for a few hours in the frig. replenishing the milk and egg mixture as it is absorbed. Bake at 350o for maybe 60-90 minutes until a knife comes out clean. We had this for Sunday Supper and it is still so good and a family pleaser. You can also add crumbled sausage for a breakfast meal or any other kind of meat. I prefer the original. My Dad called it "cheese stuff". The mustard makes it and I SWEAR even if you do not like mustard you will love, love, love this. Enjoy!
Ruth

Lani said...

This looks great- I can't wait to try it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails