Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Summer movies

We thought it would be fun and renew our subscription to Netflix for the summer. We had a Netflix account when I was pregnant with the girls. That way I could get some movies to watch while hanging out on our sofa or if/when I went in to the hospital ;) It was nice. Then, we canceled the subscription (plus our DirectTV) after the girlies were born, as we knew we wouldn't have the time or luxury to watch any TV or movies when we're taking care of our 4 newborns. So true! It has been WAY too long since we watched any TV, let alone a movie! We are out of touch on last year's movies ;)

So this summer we rented some summer movies for Jared, Paul and I to watch and enjoy. Jared has had fun watching his movies. All G-rated. I got him some oldies too, like "101 Dalmatians" and "The Jungle Book." Some of the old Disney movies are better than today's kids movies, in my opinion. Oh, by the way, did you know that "The Jungle Book" quotes Scripture? Wow, in a kids movie? I was watching it with Jared when I heard the quote from John 15:13. Here it is from the movie...

Mowgli: [to the unconscious Baloo, who just fought the tiger for Mowgli's sake] Baloo, get up. Oh, please get up.
Bagheera: Mowgli, try to understand.
Mowgli: Bagheera, what's the matter with him?
Bagheera: You've got to be brave, like Baloo was.
Mowgli: You... you don't mean... Oh, no. Baloo.
Bagheera: Now, now. I know how you feel. But you must remember, Mowgli. Greater love hath no one than he who lays down his life for his friend. [At this point, Baloo starts waking up, unbeknownst to Bagheera and Mowgli]

Just thought I'd mention that. Anyways, so here is what we've watched, so far, this summer. I've included my grading on the movies :D

  • "The Dark Knight" (rated PG-13) - Paul and I watched this. It was good, better than the Batman movies from the 1990s. I give it an A.
  • "Iron Man" (rated PG-13) - Paul and I watched this. Nice special effects. We like the recent movies based on the Marvel Comic books. I give it an A-.
  • "Wall-e" (rated G) - For Jared. We saw this with him in the theaters when it first came out (I think that was our last/most recent theater movie, back in 2008. How sad is that??). He asked to see it again. Always good. Jared's rating is a "thumbs up" and mine is an A+.
  • "Quantum of Solace" (rated PG-13) - Paul and I like the James Bond movies too :) Good movie. Some details, in my opinion, were left out. I give it a B.
  • "Indian Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" (rated PG-13) - I like the original "Indian Jones" series movies. This one, though, falls way short of those. Doesn't even compare to them. There were some very hokey parts in it. I give it a C-.
  • "101 Dalmations" (rated G) - For Jared. I remember this movie from my childhood. Still good. Jared liked it and the funny "bad guy" moments in it. It was cute when he quoted the movie :) Jared gives it a "thumbs up" and I give it an A.
  • "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" (rated PG-13) - Paul and I watched the previous "Mummy" movies. The first, original one is always the best and sequels are the worst. This sequel was not good. It's like they were trying to squeeze some life out of "The Mummy." Nope. I give it a C-.
  • "The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything" (rated G) - If you know Veggie Tales then you'll know this movie. A good kids movie, in my opinion, teaching kids about God creating heroes out of ordinary people and the heroes trusting in God. Jared enjoyed it...and I enjoyed the music :D We both give it an A+.
  • "Mamma Mia!" (rated PG-13) - I remember the commercials for this one last summer. Well, I should have stuck with the commercials. Not good. Okay, maybe the music was good but the acting and plot stunk. I give it a D.
  • "Fool's Gold" (rated PG-13) - Okay, I got this purely as a "Maria/chick flick" :D It looked like a fun, adventuresome movie from last summer. It was okay. A cute movie. Not much "meat" to it but more of a fluff or fun movie. I give it a B.
  • "The Incredible Hulk" (rated PG-13) - Another Marvel Comics movie. This one we both liked. Very cool. I give it an A+.
  • "Journey to the Center of the Earth" (rated PG) - This one we both heard of from last summer. It looked sci-fi'ish and interesting. The plot, based on Jules Verne book, is okay. Somewhat hokey. The special effects are cool. I give it a B -.
  • "The Jungle Book" (rated G) - A classic Disney movie. Very sweet, fun and full of cool music. Jared liked it and, again, was quoting the movie. Silly boy ;) We both give it an A+.
  • "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium" (rated G) - a fun kids movie. I was sort of lost with the plot but maybe that's because I saw snip-its of it while feeding the girlies so I didn't get to watch it in its entirety. Very cool special effects. Jared enjoyed it a bit. We give it a B.
  • "Horton Hears a Who" (rated G) - Jared saw this with friends in the theater when it first came out. I have never seen or read the Dr. Seuss story. A good, funny movie. We brought it with us to our Flagstaff trip to watch one evening. He and I both liked it. We give it an A+.
  • "The X-Files: I Want to Believe" (rated PG-13) - I used to watch the series religiously. I think Paul watched it too. Well, this movie felt like an episode. It had a weird plot too. Unexplainable why they chose it?? It was alright. I give it a C.
  • "Live Free or Die Hard" (rated PG-13) - Paul and I have watched the previous "Die Hard" movies. This one was as good. Very intense and action packed. I like the plot of it. Maybe a bit far fetched but not too far. I give it an A.
  • "The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian" (rated PG) - We watched the previous "Cronicles" movie. This one was okay. I felt a bit "old" watching it, like teens or tweens should be watching it, but oh well ;) It was a good movie. I give it a B.

Whew! And that's about it! Wow, I guess we have seen quite a bit of movies this summer ;) But hey, it's been nice to finally get "caught up" on the last 2 years worth of movies. It's been also fun relaxing together or as a family enjoying a movie.

Now, I guess we might have to wait a few months or year to get caught up on this summer's movies, when they all come out on DVD. Yay for Netflix! :D

post signature

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

12 rounds is very good movie too so is gran torino with clint eastwood

Tammy Jorgenson

Related Posts with Thumbnails