Thursday, July 16, 2009

Aperture vs. Manual Mode

I thought I would elaborate on my previous camera gear post. Oh, it has been fun hearing from some of you on what cameras you use for taking pictures. Very cool!

I usually shoot my pictures in aperture-priority mode. What is aperture? Basically, it's the hole or opening of the camera through which light travels. The aperture size also affects the depth of field, or what will be in focus. Aperture is expressed as F-stop, e.g. F2.8 or f/2.8. The smaller the F-stop number (or f/value), the larger the lens opening (aperture) and the larger the F-stop number (or f/value), the smaller the lens opening (aperture). I know, that always confused me in the beginning...smaller number means larger aperture and visa versa. You'd think they could've just kept them the same. Oh well ;) I like aperture mode in that it allows me to select my focus area or depth of field.

Here is a picture of Jared using aperture-priority mode.I forgot to also mention that aperture-priority mode will automatically select the shutter speed for you. So, you get to set the aperture size but the camera configures the appropriate shutter speed. Oh, and you also have to select the ISO value. The lower the ISO the less "noise" or graininess of the picture but a higher ISO value works well in darker environments.

Well, so then I thought I'd play around in manual exposure mode. Here is where it is tricky. You get to select the aperture AND the shutter speed. Oh, and as always set the appropriate ISO. So you have to know which aperture and shutter speed combo will give you the result you want for the picture. If it's the correct combo then you get a sharp, crisp and adequately exposed picture. If it's the wrong combo, then you might get a blurry, underexposed or overexposed picture. Tricky, huh?

Here is what I took in manual mode, again of Jared. He was just playing around ;)
In the last picture I was trying to overexpose it a bit, hence the brightness of it.

This website is cool in that it shows you the relationships between aperture, shutter speed and ISO. It also includes a light meter on the bottom which will show you whether the photo has been under (-) or overexposed (+).

As always, I am trying to learn more and get better with my photography skills. There's lots to learn!
post signature

1 comment:

tx folks said...

Awwww...that last pic is so sweet! He's a very handsome little boy. Five girls aren't all that's going to be in and around your house some day :-) Which of the girls looks the most like him? Suzan?

Thanks for all your camera help. "Some day" I'll have a camera like yours and, for right now, I'm storing up all the tips I can find so I can be proficient w/it once I get it.

thanks,
kd

Related Posts with Thumbnails