Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Sew, what are you doing?

Yes, I am sewing. I know, that sounds crazy, with all of the time I have on my hands ;) (actually, I am trying to sew while the girls are sleeping and Jared is at school) I've decided to make, or sew, Halloween costumes for the girls' first Halloween. Are they going to really know it's Halloween? No. Are they going to actually go trick-or-treating and eat the candy they might receive? No (although, I thought we'd take the girls in the RunAbout stroller while we treat-or-treat with Jared. That will be fun!). In any case, I thought it would be fun to do this for the girls' first Halloween :)

So I thought, and thought, and thought again about what the girls could dress up like. I thought it would be cool if I could get costumes in each of their "colors." I finally came upon a sewing pattern for a Halloween costume in which I could make one in each of their colors. See below.Can you guess which one I am going to make? Yes! The flower! Won't that be cute? To have the petals in each of their colors? I think so ;) Here is what I have done so far.

Cutting out the petalsThe pink petals for Anna's costumeHalfway there! The front, back and sleeves sewn togetherThe backThe front, with zipperThe hood, with petals attachedJust seeing how it will look on Miss Pink. Too cute! - "Mama, what in the world are you doing???"And then, here is the first one, Anna's, finishedOne down, three more to make :P Call me crazy :) The difficult parts were 1) sewing in the zipper (hey, it's been a while since I've sewn, especially sewing in a zipper!), 2) sewing the petals onto the hood and making sure they were evenly spaced and 3) sewing the elastic into the yellow trim. Other than that (oh, and the time it takes cutting out the pieces - blech!), it went pretty well.

Guess you'll have to wait till the end of October to see the other three...and then them on each baby :)

**Oh, and total cost to make all four of these costumes? $50 (not including time). When I looked for flower costumes for the girls, the average cost for one was $25. That's crazy!

12 comments:

Morgan said...

They look great!

Misty said...

THey look great! I am thinking of doing the same thing for my girls this year too!
I LOVE the flower costume.
Misty

Moni Graf said...

Girl, that's some talent! It looks AWESOME.

Love from KS,
Moni

Marilee said...

First of all, cute!

Second, i'm so glad to hear that you're actually able to sew it for cheaper than you could buy it. It's hard to do that these days!

Go to our Family Blog! said...

That is great! I won't even try to sew....Not a gifted talent at all. I leave that up to Grammy. My husband and daughter are better at it than I am. Sad huh! Great Job. Can't wait to see pics of all of them! Kami

Jen said...

ADORABLE! Can't wait to see all of the girls in them. Wish I could do something like that. :o)

Anonymous said...

This is SO ADORABLE!!
I can't wait to see the girls all dressed up in their costumes :)
You did a really great job! Congratulations! :)
Emilie

Aimee said...

HOW CUTE!!

The Gerwer Babies said...

YOU ARE SO TALENTED AND DEDICATED!! I got lazy and just bought mine 9.99 PJ's! I will do more next year when we MAY be able to leave (GGGRRRR RSV). Icant wait to see the finished product!

Lesley said...

Congrats you done a great job..! I love your Halloween costume. Keep on the good work.

grandma kathleen said...

At the rate they are eating, I just hope they can still fit into their costumes by the end of October!! Seriously, I have really enjoyed reading about your special (and beautiful) family. You are doing a wonderful job keeping your life in order. We have 2 sets of "grand"twins, and that is hard--but quads!--I can't even imagine. Tell your mom "hi" for me. If we would have know "then" (when we worked together at Emerson) what we know now, well, we probably wouldn't have believed it! I have gotten 19grandbabies in the last 6 1/2 years--and one more on the way. Katie accounts for 3 of those grandbabies. And she helps her sisters so much with the rest. Just keep enjoying your family and loving life, and above all depending on the Lord for help.

The Stilwells said...

super cute!!! Good for you for trying something new!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails